Backup files in regular formats

Hi All! I’m new to FileCloud and trialing the Community Edition at the moment, trying to decide if it meets my needs and I should upgrade. So far, I love it and it seems very powerful, but I’m caught off guard by the fact that all of my files are stored as “.dat” files… I travel frequently and am looking for a solution to store my files at a home server so that I can access them from a lightweight client like a tablet or my cell phone while I am traveling. I am concerned that if my house burns down or some other disaster happens, I’d like to have a 3rd party cloud storage backup solution, such as Backblaze, for my files, but I’m not sure how I can back up everything when it’s all stored as “.dat” files. Is there a way to configure FileCloud to store the files as regular files?
Also, how can I transfer my 2TB of files into FileCloud? Do I have to go through the FileCloud Drive or Sync clients and do that? It seems much easier to drag and drop them between folders using Windows Explorer, but when I do that, they don’t appear in FileCloud.
Thanks!
George :slight_smile:

Well, I just discovered I can just use an SFTP server on my home server and access the files remotely with an SFTP client on my phone or tablet. And I can sync the files to my laptop using syncthing. I know that FileCloud offers much more powerful functionality, and I like it, but this is simpler and allows me to backup my home server to a cloud service very easily. But in the event I could get FileCloud to work the way I want, I’d still love an answer (if there is one). I’d love to be able to access my files using a web interface, in case I ever lose my tablet while traveling and can’t really edit documents on my phone easily.

@gwbyrd

Apologize for the late reply.

Is there a way to configure FileCloud to store the files as regular files?

FileCloud stores the files in .dat format. You can also store this data in S3 storage.

https://www.getfilecloud.com/supportdocs/display/cloud/Storage+Settings

I’d love to be able to access my files using a web interface

You can use the web portal also.

https://www.getfilecloud.com/supportdocs/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5472427