Restore Server After OS Reinstall

windows 10 machine running File Cloud Community Edition with share directory on an external drive (works great, really enjoy FC). I did a windows update and got blue screen and no restore/ roll back options. Sad face.
nothing on this computer needs backing up so was going to wipe it and reinstall file cloud, but before I get ahead of myself on that I wanted to ask some questions for the next phase.

1. what is in my file cloud directory on external drive, and what is installed on c:/ with the OS?
  2. will a new install of the server recognize the contents of the directory and the existing shares/ settings etc. or do I need to go in C:/ with boot drive an find something like a server config to do this?
  3. anything to know before starting on on a reinstall, and best practices for backup of server config to make this easier in the future?

@uptonAK

1. what is in my file cloud directory on external drive, and what is installed on c:/ with the OS?

Please let us know if you are referring to Network files/folders as the external drive. The C drive contains the all the files for FileCloud ( the config, logs, database files,etc)

1. will a new install of the server recognize the contents of the directory and the existing shares/ settings etc. or do I need to go in C:/ with boot drive an find something like a server config to do this?

Let us know if you are trying a full OS install or only the FileCloud install.

If its a FileCloud install, you can refer to the below link

https://www.getfilecloud.com/supportdocs/display/cloud/Migrate+FileCloud+from+One+OS+to+Another+OS

You need to have the MongoDb (the data folder) and the Managed Storage backups, which can be restored when you re-install.

The network drive shares need to re-shared again from the scratch.

1. anything to know before starting on on a reinstall, and best practices for backup of server config to make this easier in the future?

On a safety basis, you can take the full backup of the xampp folder before you re-install.

Please let us know if this helps you.

1. No network drives here. this is a desktop drive in a cradle connected via USB to “server” computer.

2. Yes, full OS install. My windows machine is totally borked after that update and I will pull those files manually, then wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

3. okay, thanks. On my next install I will use something to backup those database files to another drive so this can be done easier.

so to recap:
my “server” computer is windows 10 and has a C:\ drive with the OS and File Cloud installed on it.
Connected to it is an external drive D:\ with the database files on it (the MongoDb (data folder)). This drive is healthy and okay.

Because of bad OS, the C:\ is getting a fresh OS install (and File Cloud) and needs the xampp folder backed up from the old install- for recovery on the new install.
the

Found that the windows update converted my C:\ from NTFS to RAW. Had to use EeseUS drive recovery tool. grabbed the entire xampp folder.
Following backup instructions from https://www.getfilecloud.com/supportdocs/display/cloud/FileCloud+Backup+and+Restore+-+Windows+Manual
cannot find the user files. above page states: “To backup user files, make a copy of the entire directory specified in the “Storage Path” in Managed Storage Settings (Admin Panel->Settings->Storage Tab)”. well, with the server down I cant get in there to see what that path is. hoping its in the xampp folder.

putting hdd back in server computer.
fresh installing windows and will update tomorrow.

1 Like

reinstalled Filecloud

on second pc, copied recovered xampp folder to “server” computer and with the services off, deleted and copied the folders: “mongodb” and “htdocs”.
started service for first time
signed in with old login
and everything is there!

I use free file sync for some stuff and will set it up periodically backup the contents of xampp to another drive so this is easier to recover from should it ever happen again. Glad to know it works.

1 Like